Advanced Interactive Design / Final Project
15/06/2026 - 26/07/2026 (Week 9 - Week 14)
Shema Goldie Angwen /
0372129
Advanced Interactive Design
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in
Creative Media / Taylor's University
Final Project
Please refer to Exercises Compilation Post for lecture notes.
In Frame 5, where all the nav menu and text start appearing, I added JavaScript code to handle the website's navigation and audio controls.
For the navigation buttons (Home, About, Ingredients, Tools, and Steps), I created a navigatePage() function. Whenever a button is clicked, the click sound effect is played first, followed by a short 300 ms delay before the website navigates to the selected page. This ensures the click sound is heard before the page changes.
I also implemented a sound toggle feature. The code checks whether the background music is currently muted and updates the sound button icon accordingly. When the sound button is clicked, it plays the click sound effect, switches the mute state on or off, and changes the button icon to reflect the current audio status.
Instead of instantly snapping between ingredients, I utilized Classic Tweens. Whenever a user clicks next, the current ingredient smoothly shrinks and slides away to the bottom, while the next one glides into the center focus.
For the text, I set up individual text layers that perfectly sync with the slider's movement. As a new ingredient reaches the center, its specific description (e.g., "1.5 kg Pork Loin & Stewing Beef" or "Olive Oil") gradually appears by adjusting the opacity.
To make the user experience flawless, I implement custom JavaScript. While the "Next" button plays the timeline forward normally, the "Previous" button is programmed to smoothly play the animation in reverse, frame-by-frame, until it reaches the previous ingredient station.
Behind the scenes, the entire animation is placed inside a single main Movie Clip (mc_slider). I organized the timeline with separate layers for ActionScripts, Frame Labels (pos_1 to pos_12), dynamic texts, and individual image layers to ensure the animations run smoothly without interfering with each other.
Here is a quick look at how I put it together:
On the right side, there is a big circle where the animation happens. I set up a timeline so that every single tool has its own animation. When a tool is selected, the tools that you clicked glides smoothly from the outside right into the center of the circle.
Then I wrote a clean JavaScript code to link the left side and the right side. When you click the "Knife" button, the code tells the display area (the right side) to play the slide-in animation for the knife.
In the timeline screenshot provided below, every tool's slide-in animation is placed in a layer which I add labels like show_board and show_knife, each finishing with a "stop" command so the tool stays on screen until you pick a new one.
If you look at my timeline on the screenshot below that looks like a giant staircase, that is because I gave each of the 13 steps its own group of layers (like the text, the main visual in the middle, and the step indicators). With so many moving parts across 13 different stages, keeping the layers named and organized (like STEP1, MIDDLE1, STEP2, etc.) was crucial to making sure everything is working an easier to make adjustments.
I used Classic Tweens to create smooth animations between every single step. To make sure the animation doesn't just play all the way to the end like a movie, I placed (this.stop();) code at the end of every step.
I encountered many issues while working on this page, such as image overlays like the picture shown below, and misaligned elements. There were times when the images looked correctly positioned with the buttons in Adobe Animate, but after previewing the project, the images shifted and no longer aligned properly.
This page had the most problems compared to the others, but I gradually fixed each issue one by one. Thankfully, I was able to resolve all of them successfully.Honestly, I was already considering leaving it as it was because I was really tired after spending so much time working on this page. However, I reminded myself that I had already put so much effort into the project and come this far. I personally do not like leaving things that feel incomplete or not quite right, so I decided to continue improving it until I was satisfied with the result.
Throughout this project, I learned a lot about the process of creating an interactive website, especially in terms of animation, coding, and problem-solving. At the beginning, I underestimated the complexity of certain elements, especially the carousel animation. I thought it would be a simple task, but it became the most challenging part of the project and required the most time and effort. I had to carefully organize the timeline, layers, and animations to make sure everything worked smoothly without conflicting with each other.
One of the biggest challenges I faced was troubleshooting technical issues. I encountered problems such as images shifting during preview, image overlays, button alignment issues, sound effects not playing properly, and difficulties implementing the preloader. There were many moments where the result did not match my expectations, but I learned to solve each problem step by step instead of giving up. I also used AI as a learning tool whenever I encountered technical issues or was unsure how certain features in Adobe Animate worked. AI was helpful in explaining coding concepts, suggesting possible solutions, and helping me better understand the workflow of Adobe Animate. However, not every suggestion worked for my project. Since AI could not directly access my Adobe Animate file or understand the complete structure of my project, some solutions needed to be tested and verified manually. I often had to experiment with the suggestions, troubleshoot further, and refine them until they worked correctly. Despite these limitations, using AI gave me a better understanding of how Adobe Animate, ActionScript, and interactive elements function together. Rather than simply providing answers, it helped me learn the reasoning behind different approaches.
I also learned the importance of paying attention to small details in design. I personally dislike when a design looks unorganized or unfinished, so I continued refining my work even when I was already tired. There were moments when I considered leaving certain issues unresolved, but I reminded myself of the amount of effort I had already invested into the project. This motivated me to continue improving the details until I was satisfied with the final outcome.
Overall, this project taught me that creating an interactive website requires both technical skills, but moreover, requires patience. I gained more confidence in using Adobe Animate, implementing code, and solving unexpected problems. Although the process was challenging and time-consuming, I am proud of the progress I made and the effort I put into improving the project until the final result. I can say I am satisfied with my work.

Comments
Post a Comment